Friday, September 25, 2009

Baby Log - Star Date 092509 - ...So I'll just call you junyah

Nils and I went in for our first real ultrasound today. Nils took a few hours off work this morning so we could see the baby together. How nice is that? :)

To give a little background, from the very beginning Nils and I had a feeling whether our baby was a boy or a girl.... and we weren't shy about it. I constantly referred to the little flutter in my belly as "she" and Nils would often share with friends and family that we thought we were having a girl. This morning when we arose to make our way for the ultrasound, we were a little nervous about being wrong and having to do a lot back-peddling (mentally and to our adoring public)... not to mention figuring out what to do with all of those bright pink and flowery cloth diapers I just purchased on Craigslist.

As an aside, the title of the post refers to the movie Junior with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Emma Thompson.... You know the part... Arnold playing the role of pregnant man 'Alex' says: "I don't know if you're a boy or a gerl, so I'll just call you junyah". Anyway... it was a joke Nils told on the way to our appointment. If we were smarter we would have just called the baby "Junior" until we were sure.

So, the lady performing the ultrasound was super nice with the cutest accent. I couldn't tell exactly where she was from, but she definitely spoke Spanish. It came up that we were going to be moving to Colombia and she asked me if I knew any Spanish. "Bano? Does that count?" She said that word was the most important. ;)

As she started looking at the baby, she kept saying how perfect the baby was. She complimented me on my fluids and skin, saying that it was really easy to see everything because of my state of health. That was definitely nice to hear. The baby was also very cooperative and kept moving so that the lady could measure and get a good look at all the necessary parts. So we're happy to report that our baby is healthy and whole. Even if our baby wasn't, we'd still be proud and happy parents, though it is nice to hear that your baby is doing well. We'll post one of the ultrasound pictures soon (the one that looks the least blobby). I'm not a huge fan of ultrasound pictures just because... well, most of them are either really ugly, hard to tell what you're looking at, or just plain alien scary. Again, we'll do our best to share one that looks the most human.

Well, having made it clear from the beginning that we were interested in learning the gender/sex of the baby (I've learned that not all parents want to know before the baby is born) we first got a glimpse of the face, and then our baby showed "the goods" right away. The lady chuckled and said, "Well, now we know the gender!"
I looked over at the screen and saw a bunch of blobs and one looked, to me, like a little boy part. So I said (thinking of those bright pink diapers at home)
"So, what is it?"
"A GIRL!"
"A girl?"
Looking back at the blobs I had to ask, "How do you know?"
She moved the wand a little more til you could see two perfect bumps... like the top of a heart.
"See that?... Those are the legs (though it looked more like the bottom to me). See that space in between?... Nothing there. "
Wow... pretty cool, huh?

So... Nils and I are psychic. We can predict the future. Of course, it helps that we had a 50/50 chance of being right. More than that, we're just so delighted to be having a girl!!

7 comments:

Sora Lundberg said...

CONGRATULATIONS on knowing the baby is a girl!!! It is so fun to know the gender of the baby---it makes it all seem that much more real and wonderful! I'm happy for you both.

Unknown said...

WhaHOO!!! Ready or not here your baby is coming to the world! :)

Megan said...

Congratulations! Girls are awesome! Boys are great too...they're just totally different. She'll bring such a sweet spirit to your home.

Sarah said...

Oh hooray!!! Man, I am out of the loop. You're moving to Columbia????? When are you guys going? Maybe I should keep reading later posts and I'll find out. I hope we don't miss you guys entirely. Erik's security clearance is still in processing. I hope we find out really, really soon!

Elder & Sister Bryson said...

Congratulations on having a girl. We are so happy for you.

tlc said...

We are so excited for you guys! Girls are the best!! I can't believe my Mia is 4 months old now. It is fun dressing her in pretty clothes and bows. Can't wait to see what your little girl is going to look like. Have a great rest of the pregnancy. Enjoy it!!

Jennifer said...

Congratulations on your first child! Being a mom is so rewarding! We just had our first girl (after 3 boys) and she is a lot of fun!