Monday, October 12, 2009

FOM - Alien vs Human?


I'm pretty sure every first time pregnant woman has gone through some similar experience of processing the fact that there's a little person growing inside that steadily swelling belly. The baby's movements help, the ultrasounds pictures definitely help. But what if imagination takes you just a little too far?

This past week I was hard at work finishing up a major project that has been hanging over my head. As usual, I started to get pretty wrapped up in my work and, though I had eaten a light lunch (which I was proud I had remember to at least take a break for that), the clock struck 4pm, and my baby came alive. She was alive... and fighting! Bom-bom-bom-bom, one right after another, the lining of my stomach became her personal punching bag. As I sat there, kinda stunned at her energy and vigor, a thought crossed my mind... "What if she's trying to get out?" Then I started turning her into too much of a person thinking... "Maybe she's starting to feel a little claustrophobic and just counldn't stay in such a cramped space a moment longer!?" "What is she's totally freaking out and can't breathe!?! After all ... she's completely surrounded by fluid!" As my mind raced, I started to panic. I had to remind myself to breathe... I had to distract myself.....

I had to realize that she's just a growing baby, and she's probably hungry. Yeah... come to think of it, my stomach was growling a little... *Sigh. Well, we got past that one. Note to self... don't make the baby too much into a full person that you put all kinds of thoughts and feelings into her head while she's probably perfectly content in her nice warm space.

Then.... (Totally unrelated, but still weird)
The other night I was laying on my back, casually talking to Nils when we both paused for a moment to admire my stomach. As I looked down however, the nice smooth typical baby bump had morphed into this strange protruding round thing sticking out of one particular part of my belly. For anyone who's seen a scene in the movie Alien (though I'm thinking of Spaceballs) when the alien pops out of a guy's stomach... that's what it started to look like to me. It was like a little alien head starting to rise up out of my stomach. I seriously tried not to freak out, but it looked so WEIRD!

Of course, I didn't want to make a complete fool of myself so I looked away and cautiously looked back to see if the alien head was still sticking out. Whew! My belly was back to normal.

I can only imagine what's going to happen when this baby actually comes out. I'll either think she's ready to express her deepest thoughts and fears, or she's going to constantly remind me of an ugly slimy alien. Thankfully I do have time to get a hold of myself before she actually arrives and can present myself to her as a normal, rational mother.... Mother? I'm going to be someone's mom? Hmm... I might have to blog about that later.

6 comments:

nora.lakehurst said...

Emily you are so freaking funny. ILOVE IT! You are a doll. And I cant wait to see you all prego and cute and all sorts of things oh and the baby. Cant wait. And to tell you the truth I never had that moment but that sounds hillarious.

Unknown said...

Heh! Maybe you will see something like this... http://www.evaneco.com/footprint.jpg

bmillios said...

Wrong video. Here's the one you were looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCHoIIwKn4I

Emily said...

That footprint picture is really cool!!

Bill, I don't know how I'm going to get the image of an alien baby with a split snake tongue out of my head... :)

Sarah said...

Emily, you's so funny! You are expressing all the same thoughts I had with my first. My biggest concern: my son was going to be so ugly, even I would have a hard time loving him. LOL Well, it turns out he's the most amazingly adorable boy in the world, even when I secretly compare his cuteness with other people's kids. So, your daughter is going to be just fine! Just remember that she will be a new person you'll need to get to know. Love ya!

Janet said...

Em, I hate to break it to you, but Nils looked EXACTLY like ET. I was pregnant with him when the movie ET came out, and I stood in the longest movie line ever, all pregnant-like, only to birth a child that looked like the main movie character.

Now. I have a theory that ugly babies make cute kids and handsome adults, so relax and enjoy that little one doing the uterine shuffle.