Monday, October 5, 2009

A Licensed Complaint

So Nils and I are offically residents of Virginia! *sigh! It sure is nice to have that slightly settled feeling where both of us have a driver's license from the same state AND car plates to match. One small complaint... the picture.

Now I understand for most of us, we expect passport pictures and driver's licenses to basically make us look "out of it", "mug shot", "shiny", "Ugh?" and other "complimentary" looks. Because of this I normally take great pains (I don't know why I even try) to lessen the chances of a truly "uggah" photo for my government issued IDs. (Yeah, my first passport photo was a "try too hard" and I ended up looking like this. ) Either way, you're going to be stuck with however it turns out for 5-10 years. In Virginia, they put the odds against you by not letting you smile ("mug shot" here we come), making you stare at some silly sticker, and after getting mine back just this past week, aiming too high! Yep, I have no neck. After looking at Nils' photo, of course he always looks amazing... but he looks amazing in his picture! He has a neck and shoulders! Lucky for him, he's tall enough for that little camera.

So I get stuck with a big face, no neck, no smile picture just because I'm not tall enough to fit it all in where they aimed that little camera with the silly bright "ka-boom" sticker!?! No fair! I guess more fool me for even trying to beat the system.

Well, luckily I did get to keep my Maryland driver's license which includes neck and shoulders AND they let me smile! So any time I'm feeling sorry for my ugly big-faced picture, I'll just whip out my old driver's license and remind myself that I at least won once at looking decent for my driver's licence picture. *sigh

5 comments:

Bronwyn said...

I had to laugh at your woes in getting a bad picture on your Virgina driver's license. One consolation is that the cop will never believe that that's really you and wonder why you stole an ugly woman's license !!

Here in Salina, Kansas, the clerk took two shots, let me see them, and tried to talk me into another try so I could look even better ! I became self-conscious and told her the second picture was good enough. I don't know if this is normalbehavior here or the fact that there was NO ONE else in the room at the time. Maybe they take time when they can ?? !! Anyway, you can't always look amazing in every single picture taken....sad but true. Think of those who are not photogenic at all ! Maybe they come out looking good on the license!

By the way, the opening picture on your blog is really attractive. Hopefully NO ONE will ever see your driver's license, even a cop. But EVERYONE can see your blog !You got it where it counts !

Love, mOm

Janet said...

YAY! I've found your blog (what took me so long) and loved the updates.

You look GREAT, Emily, but what else is new?

::HUGS::

Janet

Sharole said...

On my first drivers license there was dirt on the lens and so when my picture came out, what was a speck of dust showed up on my neck looking like a massive purple hickey, like I was some tramp, at the ripe young age of 16 years old.

I was mortified and said it needed to be redone they said forget it, it will get replaced soon enough, and said, well I guess we'd better clean the lens, grrrrr.....

I was so glad everyone else was spared!

That said since then I've had some, better than others. I think we all get a gross one every now and then. It's nice to know it happens to others also.

Once I got a lady to redo my drivers license for me 3 times, it was worth it, the one in the end was great! I loved it. I was sad when they lopped at it when it expired, they chopped some of my face off, darn it!
I can't think of an ugly picture of you at all dear, so maybe it's about time you took your turn, big grin.... :)

If it makes you feel any better, my mum and dad's pictures are always awful, beyond measure!

So when do we get to see the picture? yep the one on the license??

toby said...

Having had a driver's license in DC, VA, and MD, I can say none of them were any fun, so I sympathize. Willie also sympathizes, his passport photo does not look as good as the other two kids.

Unknown said...

Em, deep inside of you.... (dramatic effect) you know.... you are BEAUTIFUL! :)