Friday, September 7, 2012

My CraBts

It's been fun doing little crafts - Jane calls them "Crabs" - now that Jane is old enough to participate and enjoy them.  Since we still don't have the bulk of our household items we've had to get more creative, which is the point of crafts I guess.
 
Coloring... one of the easiest crafts I have her do.  Her favorite has been to take the markers and paint her fingernails.  Sometimes we have to suspend her marker privileges when she gets too color crazy.


Her cardboard house was a really fun project.  Thanks to the idea of my school teacher sister Ellen, we fit white craft paint and food coloring in the suitcase.  It's a really great and affordable way to paint with multiple colors, and it saved us a lot of weight on the airplane!

Here's her construction paper and glue project.  She loves cutting things with the scissors, so I try to direct her to her crafts whenever she gets the itch.  The problem is when she starts looking for other things to cut.  So far, nothing serious, but this privilege gets revoked sometimes too.  Sorry, my little toddler.

I just couldn't resist posting this picture.  Jane normally lets me do her hair, but it doesn't stay very long.  This style lasted most of the day.  I guess it helps that we were at church most of the time.
 
We ordered little craft totes to organize and contain craft projects whenever we do them.  Jane gets so excited she yells, "My Crabs! Do you want to do some crabs too??"

3 comments:

Bronwyn said...

What a nice post about Jane and her crafting projects. Yep, you do get creative when there aren't alot of supplies. Molly was a whiz at making things out of boxes. She'd laboriously cut the cardboard to size. She made a guitar and a cardboard village for her little cars and Monkachees (I don't know how to spell that). There's alot you can do with just a piece of paper ! I'm glad you included that last picture of Jane. It was a good shot. She's a very pretty little girl !
Love, mOm

Andrea said...

Emily, She is adorable! We also love cutting up paper and gluing it all over the page. My artist friend said that you don't have to be super crafty for your kids to come up with things. Just give them those totes with the supplies and they will make their own things. Our kids like using plastic containers, paper plates, straws, tape, cardboard, and cotton balls to make a fairy home or airplane home for the little man.

Gigi said...

Gigi said "awww... can we play in that when we go visit?"