Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Our Neighborhood

For Labor Day we decided to get out and get a closer look at the buildings right in our neighborhood.

Emily and Jane in front of the Khazret Sultan mosque, one of the largest mosques in Central Asia.

Nils and Harry in front of the Palace of Peace and Reconciliation.

Family photo inside the Palace of Peace and Reconciliation

Nils with the kids in the upper room of the Palace of Peace.  Every three years they hold a Conference of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions. 

A view up into the pyramid. Cool, huh?

3 comments:

Bronwyn said...

I noticed the unique architecture as Nils did some out-of-the-window shots during your apt tour. The mosque is beautiful ! And the pyramid has an interesting name. I bet I can look up the history behind the creation of the bldg.

You live in a very interesting place ! Glad you shared your findings with us. Love, mOm

Toby O said...

Nice pictures. What a great spot to live in. It must be so fascinating to be in a place that we (in America) don't get to learn much about, for some reason. I don't know if the schools have changed since I have been, but I don't remember getting a lot of information about Eastern Europe (slash) Western Asia.

Nils Bergeson said...

Toby O, I think we had one year of geography when I was in school, which basically consisted of learning Western European capitals. I don't remember ever learning anything about anywhere Africa, Central Asia, the Indian subcontinent, Eurasia, Australiasia (yes, tell Sharole I called it that), or even Latin America. Shame too, seeing as how geography is my favorite subject.